Friday, October 19, 2007

Show and Tell - Vintage Jewelry Box







Kelli at There is No Place Like Home has show and tell every week and today is the day. You should go check out her site and see all the treasures.



Today I would like to share this wonderful old jewelry box. Isn't it pretty. It is made of heavy metal painted gold. It was probably part of a vanity set. I love the raised flowers on it, they are so intricate with such detail. Inside it has a beautiful fuchsia velvet lining. I found this at Goodwill and dove to get it! I just love it.


The contents of my box did not come with it. I found them later that same week at a garage sale. I found these delightful items in an old puzzle box mixed in with papers and junk. I was attracted to the puzzle for the colorful design of it's box and was thrilled to find these treasures inside. I do not know who she is, but someone named Izal. Izal is a very unusual name and something about the treasures just talked to me. There is a little sachet with the letter I, a clear plastic heart with the letter I, a pin that says "Mother" and a little silver bracelet that says "Russell, to Izal".

Aren't they captivating things! I wonder who she was, what did she do, who is Russell? Did they end up marrying? Was she happy in her life? Did she love the Lord? She was obviously a mother, how many children did she have? How did her special mementos end up in the old puzzle box? I will never know, but there is something that makes me want to keep Izal's treasures and I decided to put them in the beautiful jewelry box as they seem to be right at home there.


~ Sharon

20 comments:

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Yes, the jewelry box is very pretty! Interesting items to go in it too. I know Izal would be happy to know someone cherishs her things!

Katherine

Amy ~ (Life's Small Treasures) said...

How wonderful! Wouldn't it be neat if one day you find out the story behind all those questions? The jewelry box is beautiful. Thanks for sharing
~Amy

Mica Garbarino said...

what sweet finds !!! I just love it old an vintagy like that too!!! Treasures indeed !!!

Mica

Anita said...

What a lovely vintage jewellery box, indeed! What great finds!

What a pity that those questions on Izal and Russell will never be answers....

Cathy said...

What wonderful treasures and what a great find on the victorian ring box. Many of these little boxes like this were what a wedding/engagement ring set was received in. It's always fun to wonder about the previous owners of new found treasures.

Cathy :)

Lee-ann said...

Sharon,

What a beautiful treasure to rest in such a beautiful jewellery box.

Your show and tell tells me a little about your gentle sole also, the way you hold and care for such little mystery pieces is so lovely.

best wishes Lee-ann

Connie said...

Oh my that is gorgeous. Love the detail. Thanks for sharing.

Take care,
Connie

Hootin'Anni said...

This is just too pretty for words....BUT!!! I love how you added such wonderful questions and all about each piece, like who are they...did they marry and such. That brings on a whole new aspect of the whole post! You did good!!

Penless Thoughts said...

The jewelry box is indeed special and beautiful but it becomes even more so with the contents that you treasurer in it. How many years have you had this?
Susan

Nunnie's Attic said...

Ever wonder if something you donated to Goodwill or wherever will cause the same reaction in others that you have today? Like if you gave away, I don't know, a crocheted blanket. Will the new owner wonder about you? Will she wonder if you made it. And if you did, was it hard?

I'm glad that you kept the personal items of Izal. They obviously meant something to her at some point in her life. I like that name too.

Love,
Julie

Lady_MSnow said...

Those are beautiful treasures. :D

nannykim said...

Oh, man, you have the makings for a great work of fiction---those things would be a perfect way to start a book!!! Maybe you can contact a Christian fiction writer and inform them of the idea, EH?!!!! Cool--

ellen b said...

the box is lovely and the treasures you store in it are so sweet. Blessings...

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts said...

It is just a gorgeous jewelry box. And I love your description and thoughts about Izal's things.

Brenda said...

Oh wow. Wonder who she was. Did her sweety give her that? Great box and love the treasures.

Jean said...

It makes me sad to think no family member wanted these treasures! They seem perfect for the wonderful jewelry box!

Sondra said...

LOVE the jewlery box! It is so unique. What a great find in an old puzzle box! And yes, Izal is an unusual name. To bad there was nothing to indicate the last name and then you could do some "Nancy Drew" work!

PEA said...

That vintage jewelery box is amazing, what a wonderful treasure to find at Goodwill!! Also love the other items you found...if only they could talk, what stories they could tell you:-) xo

Julieann said...

What a beautiful treasure--and I so wonder who Izal is?

Julieann

BittersweetPunkin said...

Very pretty! I love stuff like that, don't you?
Blessings,
Robin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...