Thursday, October 11, 2007

More pictures of our Living Room








A couple of weeks back I started showing pictures of my house and wanted to continue with that. Here are a few more close-up pictures of the shelf above the couch in our living room.

I found the shelf at a yard sale, at that time it was painted a bright cobalt blue. I painted it cream and distressed it and Eric added the cup holders and hung it for me. I found everything on the walls and shelves over the years at garage sales, flea markets, antique stores or thrift stores. No family heirlooms here, but lots of fun stuff!

I just love old vintage books, especially the ones with beautiful writing on the front and/or with beautiful artwork. I love to use them in my decorating. If it talks to me I don't really care if it has a little wear and tear, it just shows me it was used and loved. The Book Of Easter has a copy write date of 1910 and has really pretty black and white illustrations. I love the beautiful pale green cover with the cream colored flowers.

I also really like vintage postcards. This one of the kitty has a stamp cancellation date also from 1910 - that is almost 100 years ago! Amazing it is in such great condition. I like to read the notes from the sender and I wonder what their lives were like. This one was written by a school teacher, and she mentions that she has ten pupils and they are all good. After I purchased this postcard at an antique store I realized that it was written by someone who knew my great, great, great grandfather and mentions his name! Isn't that amazing! Now that is a treasure!

~ Sharon

5 comments:

Hootin'Anni said...

LOVE that postcard. Now, that's a true treasure.

Candy said...

I LOVE these pictures!!! Especially the home decor ones of your shelf and display..
I love it!

Flea Market Queen said...

Sharon...we love the same things!
Old books & postcards...
Priscilla

Brenda said...

Love the shelf and all your plates. You may have to many and need to share? Hehe just joking.Love it.

JoyFULLWifeMom said...

So pretty all of it!

Chrissy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...