Thursday, October 25, 2007

A fun thing


When my kids were little I started a new thing. I realized it was getting harder and harder to read them their Bible stories at night because our schedule got so busy. With four boys with their ages spanning over 9 years, we had different bedtimes, etc. I decided to start doing devotions with them in the morning. I would make hot chocolate and put it in fun mugs on a special tray and take it up to their room and read to them from the Bible. At Christmas time I use Christmas mugs and a Christmas tray. I let them stay in bed and drink their hot chocolate as I read. This was such a fun, cozy time for all of us. I would read a chapter of the Children's Bible and then I would read a chapter of a novel we were reading at the time. I felt so close to them and it led to great discussions and teachable moments about the Lord.

Well, they have grown and are past that, but sometimes I still take them a cup of hot chocolate in their beds just for fun. Today I used these fun Halloween mugs on a Halloween tray. I am thankful to the Lord for inspiring me with that idea because it really was a fun thing and worked really well for our family. If you want to see a big grin on your child's face, surprise them with hot chocolate in bed and a story read by mother in the morning!

"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6

Blessings to you today!

~ Sharon

7 comments:

Hootin'Anni said...

And this is something that your boys will remember with joy someday!!! I'm sure of it.

Ooooooooo, I see a beautiful girl with a yummy cake!!! Happy Birthday a day late to Brittany.

Sondra said...

What a wonderful way to spend time with your boys and also getting them closer to God! One day they might do the same with there own children. I love making family traditions and hope my boys will pass some down.

nannykim said...

Fantastic idea--love it!! We had ours at supper time since we made a point of having supper together. But morning works well for most!

Nunnie's Attic said...

What a sweet idea! Your children will always remember that. And most likely pass that on to their children. What a tradition you have begun!!

Love,
Julie

Velvia said...

Thanks for sharing this great idea. I have shared breakfast in bed with my Drama Queen (she just turned 11) but I didn't think to read our devotion together during that time. Tomorrow morning it will be hot chocolate and devotion in bed!! I just found your blog a few days ago, by way of Kimmie's at "Over the Moon with Joy" , and I have really enjoyed reading it.
Have a great weekend! Love, Velvia

ginger at enchanting cottage said...

What a wonderful idea, I will use that one for my grandchildren.
Thank-you
ginger

Allison said...

Sharon, that is a great idea. I bet they loved it, and no wonderf it led to great conversations and memories. I really like your idea Sharon - and especially that you still bring them hot chocolate even though they are older. They will always remember that and I bet they will do the same for their kids.

allie
www.mycozyhome.typepad.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...