Sunday, October 28, 2007

Day with the BAG Ladies




My good friend, Virginia, had her 55th birthday on Saturday. She is in the one on the left in the picture.....isn't she cute, I don't think she looks like she is 55 (I also think Eileen looks great too). Any way, Virginia, Eileen and myself met for breakfast and then thrift shopping on Saturday morning to celebrate Virginia's birthday. We all go to the same church and we started a club with six women called the BAG ladies. It stands for Bargains At Goodwill because we all have thrift shopping in common. But of course, the friendship is based on so much more than that. We all love the Lord and lift each other up in prayer and encourage each other. We are all in our mid 40s to 55, so are pretty much at the same stages in our lives. We try to get together for either shopping or a tea party several times a year and we have our annual Bag Lady retreat in June where we spend the night in a rented house for two nights and shop, talk, eat and laugh. It is so much fun! Of course we see each other at church each week too!

Here are some of my treasures I found while shopping.


This is a bird of paradise figurine that I grabbed as soon as I saw it. I just think it is so pretty. I love all the intricate designs on it. It has a sticker on the bottom that says Syroco Wood. I searched the Internet and learned that it is a molded material resembling carved wood. The company made things from the 30s through the mid 60s. I paid $6.30 for him and found him on eBay for $9.99, but it still has six days left of bidding, I marked it and will watch it and will let you know what it ends up going for. There were two other figurines out of Syroco on eBay that were going for crazy prices, a carved Indian was at $760.00 and a carved knight cork screw was going for $1,530.00 - like I said, CRAZY!


I put him on my mantle with my fall garland and he looks very handsome there.





I bought three of these cute little plates for .49 cents each. I thought they would be so fun for BBQs and I will use them for sliced tomatoes, onions and lettuce. When I got home my son made himself a hot dog for lunch and I thought, oh darn, I should have bought a fourth one and used them for fun lunches too! Maybe I'll go back and get it!




I found this yummy rabbit's hair sweater! Isn't it pretty! It is a beautiful caramel color and has a satin collar and cuffs and feels so nummy on. I am happy because it is hand washable too! I only paid $2.92 for it!




These two books were in the 3 for a dollar bin! The one entitled Love Notes To Our Moms is really cute, it has a picture of a celebrity from her childhood and some pictures from today, they tell a story about their mother and then give one of their mother's favorite recipes. The other one is is called A Bouquet of Poetry and is full of lovely poems and pictures.


Both Virginia and Eileen found wonderful treasures too. We had such fun together and laughed so much. I just love my friends.

Virginia is going through a lot right now and her son, Shane, is leaving for Iraq on November 3rd. He flies Apache helicopters and it will be very dangerous for him. He is a Christian man and has a wife and two young children. I told her I would write about him and ask my blogger friends to pray for his safety. Would you please remember to pray for Shane. Thank you so much.

May God bless you all today!

"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God." Ephesians 2:8


~ Sharon

5 comments:

Our Red House said...

Hi Sharon, I've just tagged you for the new meme I've started. Come and have a look!

Betty said...

Sharon, What a great picture! I love going to Goodwill, Salvation Army, you name it....so many great things out there just waiting to be gleaned.....

I will add Shane to my prayer list...and I am so sorry about the death of Sadie.....she was a beautiful friend.....

Thank you for visiting with me and taking the time to comment...please come again....Betty

Nunnie's Attic said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend with the girls. I will pray for Shane and for all of those in uniform.

Love,
Julie

Hootin'Anni said...

I love it!!!! BAG ladies. That's, I bet, a LOT o' FUN!!!

BittersweetPunkin said...

I love Goodwill too...what fun that you can go with wonderful friends and have FUN like that!
Blessings,
Robin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...