Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Working Mom (part-time!)





I worked today and snapped a picture of me at work so you can see my office. I had a good day today, it was hectic and busy - the way I like it. I schedule heart surgeries and consultations with cardiac surgeons. I work three days a week and really love my job. It is a very busy office and my days go by so fast. It is very fulfilling as I get to interact with patients and doctors; and to assist them (in a small way) through the process of having heart surgery. Working part-time works really well for me and my family. I had the privilege of being a stay at home mom for 13 years and started working part-time outside the home three years ago.


As I age and especially as my children age, I see that it is good for me to have other interests outside my home and working part-time is just perfect for me. I have lots of friends at work and I feel really good knowing I have done a job well done. It is also nice to earn extra money for the family, to get insurance benefits for the family and to earn retirement benefits. Working part-time also makes me really, really appreciate the days that I get to be home! I also LOVE to dress up for work!


I feel kind of like a big city girl because I drive part way to work and then I hop on an express bus and commute the rest of the way to my office. Some day I will blog about the joys of public transportation! For the most part it is fine, but I do run into a character or two from time to time!


Sometimes it is hard when I come home from work because I really come home to start my second shift. Eric and the kids help out with things, but I usually tidy up the kitchen and family room, start a load of laundry and start dinner, and with school back in session, I go over homework, have lots of papers to read and fill out and meetings to go to. Also, when the boys have games, we head to those in the evenings. Sometimes I am energetic and other times I am wiped out. This is when I really call upon the Lord and ask for His strength.

"He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. " Isaiah 40:29, 31.


It is also key for me to start my days with the Lord. I always (well almost always) get up early and start my day with my devotional time.


I try to plan easy dinners to make on the days I work. The best is when I plan ahead and put something in the crock pot. Tonight I made a classic fall work day dinner, Taco Soup. It is so easy and really yummy and very cozy and warm for a fall day. I know it is not officially fall yet, but school did start and it rained, so that's enough for me!


Taco Soup

Brown 1 pound of hamburger in a big soup pot with onion, drain fat. Add taco seasoning, garlic, salt and pepper.


Add:
1 can corn
1 can tomato soup
1 can dark red kidney beans
1 can garbanzo beans
1 can pinto beans
1 large can stewed tomatoes
1 to 2 cups of water


Boil, let simmer and walla.........your done! Add a little grated cheddar and serve with green salad and Fritos. You can add any type of beans that you would like.

"Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, this is the way; walk in it.' " Isaiah 30:21

Hugs! Sharon

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...