Friday, September 28, 2007

Show and Tell - Mother of Pearl Bible





Today is Kelli's show and tell. She has a lovely blog called There is No place Like Home and she does show and tell every Friday!


Today I would like to show you a very special treasure that I found several years ago at Goodwill; I don't remember how much I paid for it, but probably no more than $1.99. It is a Bible that is inlaid with mother of pearl. It is actually just the New Testament and states - Translated out of the Original Greek: and with the former Translations diligently Compared and Revised, by His Majesty's Special Command. It is not that old, the copy right is 1950, but I think it is so pretty. Someone etched on the front "Bethlehem". There is a little damage to the mother of pearl, but thankfully it's on the back! I have it sitting in a miniature easel in my living room.


"Thy word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path." Psalm 119:105


~ Sharon

16 comments:

Sondra said...

I have never seen anything like that. It is so pretty and unique.
Don't you just love the Goodwill stores :) Always a buried treasure somewhere.

Joyfull said...

How beautiful! What a great find. Shopping at Goodwill and thrift stores is one of my favorite hobbies!

ellen b said...

What a neat treasure you found. I don't think I've ever seen a Bible with a mother of pearl cover..
Blessings.

Dawn said...

What a pretty keepsake! I adore anything mother of pearl....

JoyFULLWifeMom said...

How amazing. I love it!

Chrissy

Penless Thoughts said...

What a beautiful treasure!!!
Susan

Susie said...

It's beautiful and to think someone donated it to Goodwill!
How fortunate you were to find it!

Candy said...

Oh wow, that Bible is Soooo pretty!!

nannykim said...

Wow--that is so unique!

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts said...

How beautiful! I have never seen such a decorative Bible before.

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

That bible is absolutely gorgeous with the mother-of-pearl cover! Don't you wonder how anyone could have given it up??

I like your white cabinet below too, and all the vintage baby items - darling!

Katherine

Kelli said...

How beautiful, Sharon and what a great find!!!

Kelli

Tammy said...

Absolutely beautiful!!!

Lana said...

Hello Sharon, I found your blog through a link on Deena's. That Bible is lovely. Thanks for sharing.

Anita said...

That is a very special Bible, indeed! Congratulations to that old find!

By the way, I just admired the antique typewriter on the post below! I have been looking for a similiar one since years, unfortunately, they are very hard to find over here (at a reasonable price, I mean...).

Best wishes from Germany,
Anita

Mommy said...

What a unnique find with the Bible. And what a price to pay for it too! Very pretty!

Thanks for visiting my blog. I am so sorry it took me so long to visit you, but it is has been a busy weekend. I love your blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...