Friday, September 21, 2007

Show and Tell - Country Kitchen Swag









I'm participating in Kelli's Show and Tell Friday. You should check out her Blog and join in on the fun!

I made this kitchen swag several years ago, but still really love it! It is full of antique kitchen gadgets and every time I walk by it I admire it. This was such a fun project and pretty easy too!

Just gather a ton of vintage kitchen related items, cookie cutters, spice cans, utensils, salt & pepper shakers, etc. Get a long piece of jute twine, cut it to the length that you would like your swag and tie loops on each end. Get several different types of fabrics and cut in strips approximately 7 inches long by about 1/2 inch wide, you will need lots and lots of fabric strips!

Tie fabric strips onto the string until the string is completely full. Just tie them in a way that is pleasing to your eye, you can do it randomly or in some type of a pattern.

Next lay out your kitchen items out on top of the fabric swag you have created and arrange them in a way that you like. Now just grab your extra fabric strips and start tying on the utensils. If the utensil does not have a natural place to tie on the fabric, just hot glue it onto the back. This is is a very fun project and so cute!

I made my sister one in her kitchen colors, yellow, red and blue and it turned out sooooo cute. She hung it in her window above her kitchen sink like a valance. The cool thing is you can keep adding to it or even "borrow" something off of it if you need it!

I have made similar swags for the holidays too, I have one for fall, which I will show soon, one for Valentine's day and one for 4th of July. My good friend Shannon and her sweet mother Mareta showed me how to do this project in our craft group called TACKY (Treasures, Antiques, Collectibles, Kitchenware, Yard sales).

I want to make one in all soft colors like cream, pale pink and baby blue, and add old baby shoes, antique pocket watches, old perfume bottles etc. An Easter swag would be really cute as well! The possibilities are endless!

~ Sharon

21 comments:

Becky said...

What a neat swag. And directions to boot! My kind of show and tell.

I read down and see that you are the mom of 4 boys. I am the mom of 3 boys; 25, 22, 16.

What a ride! You look very familiar to me in your pictures but since you live in Oregon I don't think we have ever met. Perhaps you are famous and using a fake name and location :)

I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Enjoy the lovely autumn days of Oregon. I envy tht I must admit.

nannykim said...

So cool--what a neat idea!! You need to show us pictures of the others and of your sisters--let us know when you do, kiddo! I have old gadgets and tools and find they often work better than the new ones.

Hootin'Anni said...

First off....my sister's name is Sharon! hehehehe

And thanks for the wonderful compliment on my show n tell.

I just LOVE the swag idea for the kitchen wall. That is just too clever. Awesome, just awesome.

Now, I'm gonna scroll down and see what else you have for us....I will no doubt put your blog on my list of favorites so I can visit more often.

Penless Thoughts said...

This is so neat!!! Thanks for even giving the "how to"!! I love it.
Susan

Joyfull said...

This is so cute! I love how it can be adapted to the kitchen decor!

LBP said...

That is the coolest sway I have ever seen. What a great idea. I may have to be a copycat!

Linda

ellen b said...

Oh that is so much fun and your instructions are great! What a great show and tell...

Lana G! said...

That is way cool! Love it!

Susie said...

Great swag and I love how you share other ways to do this for different occasions!
:)

Mica Garbarino said...

I just ove this swag. I am a collector of all sorts..and love vintage kitcshy items. very cute indeed!!

Mica

Barbara H. said...

I have never seen anything like it. It's adorable!

Sondra said...

Sharon, you are not going to believe this but I have that same exact pig cookie cutter. It was my grandma's. I have a lot of those other kitchen items you have. Mine are all on display hanging on my kitchen wall. We just have too much in common :)

PEA said...

What an absolutely brilliant way to display vintage items like that! I love it!! I will so borrow your idea:-) Thank you so much for sharing this idea with us! xo

Amy ~ (Life's Small Treasures) said...

Very cute! I love it.

Kelly said...

Ahhhh, Sharon - that is AWESOME! I'll be usurping your idea and making one of these for our kitchen. ;0) You are too clever!

AllyJo's Mama said...

Oh my goodness, that's the cutest thing I've ever seen. I think I own everything in your swag so I'm going to make one. I do this with my crochet hot pad collection, but I never thought to do this with "stuff". My daughter is sitting with me and we both squealed at the same time when we opened up your page. Thanks for sharing!!

Ladyfromthewoods said...

Like Sondra, I have the same cookie cutter, the whole set! They were my mom's and I have never thought of them as "vintage" until now. Hmmm...now I may be looking at them differently since I rarely actually use them.

Tammy said...

Adorable- and you are so creative to think of this! I love it!

Kelli said...

That is the cutest swag I've ever seen!! It's wonderful!
Kelli

Stephanie said...

What a clever way to decorate your kitchen and still have space to collect things! I might have to think on this a bit.
Thanks for stopping by my blog! And congrats on the win Fri. night!

anita said...

I love, love, love your swag!! I've been collecting vintage, red-handled cookie cutters and gadgets for my kitchen and have wondered how to display them. That is a GREAT idea! Thanks for showing us pics. I am so excited and inspired!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...