Friday, September 14, 2007

My Show and Tell - My Trinket Box

Kelli at There is no place like home is having her Show and Tell Friday and here is mine!

This is my trinket box. I have collected trinkets since I was about 10 years old. Most of them are from gumball machines and boxes of Cracker Jacks, but there are also other items like miniature perfume bottles, old keys and buttons, old jewelry, tiny doll accessories etc. I am a self proclaimed pack rat and I like a little clutter, but I prefer controlled clutter, so having glass front shelves, curio cabinets and glass cases like this one work great for displaying my many and varied collections!

I don't exactly know when my fetish for things in miniature started, but I probably inherited it from my father who has the same tendency for collecting anything and everything. He had a collection of old tiny medicine bottles that were only one to two inches tall! I used to admire them almost daily on the mantle in the living room and one day he gave me one for my very own!

Later when we were older we visited our friend Kristy's house and she had a magical box full of trinkets! After seeing hers I was hooked! I fervently started searching high and low for more tiny things! I also had two mini troll dolls that were probably 3/4 of an inch tall that had diamond eyes. I named them Linda and Lynette. I preferred playing with them rather than Barbie or baby dolls. I made clothes for them and made a bed out of a match box. I still have them, but will have to dig them out of my attic and I will show them to you one day. My trinket collection was perfect for Linda and Lynette. I even made a house for the trolls out of scrap wood and decorated it with all my trinkets. It is amazing how magical a child's imagination can be!

When the kids were little they would ask if they could look at my trinkets. I would lay down a cookie sheet and we would spill out the trinkets and they looked at everyone of them. I love to do this for children who are visiting and might be a little bored, their eyes light up! It is a great conversation piece for adults as well. I purchased neat boxes for all four of my boys and started them on their own trinket collections, but it didn't stick with them, I guess they didn't have the same bug as their mother!

Every once in awhile I open up my trinket box and look at all my treasures and it brings back all kinds of really good memories.

~Sharon

13 comments:

ellen b said...

Oh fun! I love the box and the trinkets in it. What a great way to keep them around.

Penless Thoughts said...

I'll bet any and every child that comes to your house would love to rummage through your trinket box!
Susan

LBP said...

Oh My! I could just sit for hours and look at your little trinkets! I love little trinkets! I love little dolls, no more than 6" tall.

So cool!

Thanks for sharing.

Marci said...

I love it. Can I come over and sort through them. I love to look through stuff like that. Thanks for sharing.

PEA said...

Hi Sharon:-) What an absolutely delightful trinket box with all the little treasures inside of it!! Never mind the children, I would love to look through them all! lol Wonderful hobby! xo

Mrs. C said...

What a fun collection! My kids would just love to get their hands on it. ;)
Blessings,
Mrs. C

JanaBanana said...

What a neat show and tell! All those little trinkets must have been fun collecting throughout the years :)

Heather said...

What a unique treasure! Thank you for sharing! Blessings ~

Sondra said...

What a great idea to put them all in a nice box. I have alot of little trinkets that I just cant part with, but they are just in various place (who knows where). I think I will have to find a nice box like yours! HOW CUTE!
I love your blog- I also have four boys that are slowly moving out. I am having such a hard time with it. I look foward to reading more of your blog!

Sondra said...

I just love your trinket box! I have alot of little trinkets that are just scattered all about (who knows where). What a great idea to put them in a nice box. I will have to get me one!
I love your blog! I also have 4 boys who are slowly moving out and having a hard time at that. I look forward to reading more of your blog!

Kelli said...

I LOVE your trinket box! I could spend hours looking at all the tiny treasures!
Kelli

Kelly said...

Ahhh, I love that about Linda and Lynette! You rock, Sharon! Love this share! :0)

Terri and Bob said...

This is ultra cool. Maybe I will start one for the future grandkids I hope to have!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...