Sunday, September 9, 2007

Grocery Shopping


My helper, Hayden


Hey, Hayden, don't get any ideas now!
Heading for the van
Yea! We're done!





Yesterday Hayden and I went to the grocery store. We go to a big box store where there are not many frills and I have to bag them myself, but I get really good deals. I try to always have one of my kids with me, but now that school has started, my choices are to go on a weekend with a helper or go on a weekday on my day off by myself. Usually I opt for going during the week because I like to have the weekend open for fun family things.

Today I spent about $130.00 and bought enough groceries to hopefully last for two weeks. I planned ten meals, two left over meals and two nights out (one for my birthday and one for the away ballgame). I will have to go back to the store to pick up more milk and produce in a week. My husband and sons hunt and fish, so that really helps my food budget. We also bought our Grayson's pig that he raised through FFA and auctioned at the youth fair, so our freezer is full right now. We have most of the deer and elk made into burger with a few steaks and roasts. We have a food sealer which Eric uses when he catches fish. Currently we have salmon, bass, sturgeon and halibut in the freezer.

I am constantly trying to better my whole menu planning and grocery shopping system. Over the years it has evolved to this. I have a typed up list of our family's favorite meals. I put this list on the fridge and ask everyone to circle two things and initial it and then I plan my grocery list off of that. For years I did all the planning and didn't even think to have them help me pick the menus!

After I have my menus figured out I get the recipes out of my recipe box and I make up my grocery list. I typed up a blank grocery list that is laid out the way my favorite store is laid out. I have headers for all the main areas, Fruits and Vegetables, Cookies and Chips, Canned Fruits and Vegetables, etc. I simply fill it out based on my recipe cards. I also will keep the grocery list on the fridge a few days for the family to put things on there that they know we are out of like cooking spray, shampoo etc.

This has really simplified things for me. But I still need to go through all my recipes. I keep looking at Taste of Home or Quick and Simple Meals magazines and cut new recipes out and put them in a file. Now I have this big file that I need to transfer to the recipe box. This has been on my to do list for several months and I am determined to do it this fall!

If you would like a copy of my menu idea list and my grocery list, I would be happy to email them to you. Please send me a request at
Roseofsharonmay@gmail.com I also can send a copy of my birthday survey I wrote about on September 5th if you would like that as well.

I want to be a Proverbs 31 woman. Here are some excerpts from Proverbs 31 regarding food planning for our homes.

She is like a merchant's ship; she brings her food from afar (14). She gets up before dawn to prepare breakfast for her household and plan the day's work (15). She is energetic and strong, a hard worker (17). She watches for bargains (18).
In Him ~ Sharon

1 comment:

Julieann said...

I love it!!! I am going to take pictures next time I go shopping (giggles) I did it before and people were looking at me funny...LOL:)

We had a store like the one you described, when we lived in Georgia---it was called Aldi's. I sure do miss those prices!!

Julieann

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...