Thursday, August 23, 2007

Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet


This morning I read Psalm 43 and 44. Both of these passages really touched me today. I have been going through some stress at my job and I find these scriptures very comforting and encouraging. These are the passages that I highlighted:


Oh God, take up my cause! For you are God, my only safe haven. Send out your light and truth; let them guide me. Let them led me to Your holy mountain, to the place where You live. There I will go to the alter of God, to God--the source of all my joy. I will praise you with my harp, O God, my God!


Why am I discouraged? Why so sad? I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again -- my savior and my God!


They did not conquer the land with their swords; it was not their own strength that gave them victory. It was by Your mighty power that they succeeded; it was because You favored them and smiled on them.


You are my King and my God. You command victories for Your people. Only by Your power can we push back our enemies; only in your name can we trample our foes. I do not trust my bow; I do not count on my sword to save me. It is You who gives us victory over our enemies; it is You who humbles those you hate us. O God, we give glory to You all day long and constantly praise your name!


I love these words! God is amazing! He is there for me, fighting my battles. I love to make scripture personal and put in my name where I can or the word I instead of we. It makes scripture so much more intimate with God. I also love to ask God for things specifically when I read them in scripture, like in 44:3 it says, "It was by Your mighty power that they succeeded; it was because You favored them and smiled on them" In the border of my Bible I wrote "please favor us and smile on us". I also say, "It was by Your mighty power that Sharon succeeded; it was because You favored her and smiled upon her". I believe that that is how God truly does feel about us.


Thank you Lord for your favor and grace and for fighting my battles for me!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...